Strathborough has had three owners since completion in 1834.

COUNTRY STYLE: Part of the sun room, added in the 1960s. Picture: supplied.
COUNTRY STYLE: Part of the sun room, added in the 1960s. Picture: supplied.

One of the oldest homes in the Midlands, Strathborough, has only had three owners in its history, but will soon have a fourth.

Built by convict labour for an English man named Bradbury, Strathborough was then a 4,000-acre land grant and the home was completed in 1834.

As was the tradition at the time, the convict foreman’s name was carved into the stonework at the rear of the chimney.

The property was bought by Tony and Deirdre Flint in 1987 from the Hallett family, who had taken ownership from a trustee called Allport after Bradbury’s death.

Fine cedar woodwork features throughout the house, with the fluted panelling in the entrance hall similar to that in the MacArthur homestead in NSW.

A sandstone fountain carved in the shape of a waterlily forms a centrepiece in the sunken garden at the front of the home.

Identical stone carvings can be found in the grounds of Government House in Hobart.