Mother encourages Tasmanians to update first aid skills for snake season

BRAVE BOY: The Scott family kids at their Deloraine property. Jaden (front), Shaylee, Kiraley, Tylen, Ethan and Bowza the dog. Jaden was bitten by a snake while the kids played in the dam in the background. Picture: Phillip Biggs

BRAVE BOY: The Scott family kids at their Deloraine property. Jaden (front), Shaylee, Kiraley, Tylen, Ethan and Bowza the dog. Jaden was bitten by a snake while the kids played in the dam in the background. Picture: Phillip Biggs

A Deloraine mother has encouraged Tasmanians to get up-to-date on first aid following a terrifying ordeal. 

Eight-year-old Jaden Scott was bitten by a snake on Friday afternoon while playing at the property dam with three of his siblings.

Jaden alerted his mum Alison that he thought he’d been bitten by a spider – but Mrs Scott quickly realised the imprint on his leg was a snake bite. 

“We rushed inside and I grabbed my first aid book,” Mrs Scott said. 

She applied bandages to the bite, and was anxious as she called an ambulance. 

“You’re trying to stay calm for the children, but you’re ringing saying ‘my son’s been bitten by a snake’,” Mrs Scott said. 

Mrs Scott has had first aid training, and said the scare showed “just how important it is” to know how to act in emergency situations.

Jaden was taken to the Launceston General Hospital, where he spent a night.

Mrs Scott said it was thought the low-venom bite came from a copperhead snake. 

She said Jaden was the “toast of the town” upon his return to school on Monday. 

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop