Queensland victims of the MH17 crash, doctors Roger and Jill Guard, have been remembered for their "lifetime of service" to their community.
Dr Roger Guard was the director of the Pathology Unit at Toowoomba Base Hospital, while his wife Jill was a GP in the south-east Queensland town, west of Brisbane.
Officials initially reported nine Queenslanders were among the almost 300 people who died in the crash. The figure has been revised to seven.
The other Queensland victims are Helena Sidelik, from Burleigh Heads on the Gold Coast, who was returning from a European holiday and Albany Creek couple Howard and Susan Horder who were on holidays, mainly in Ireland.
The Guards were also returning home from an overseas holiday aboard MH17.
Roger, a pathologist of 44 years, was due to return to work on Monday.
Roger and Jill Guard's children Paul Guard and Amanda Koopman said on Friday evening the loss of their parents was devastating.
"Mum is the best grandma in the world and she was really looking forward to seeing Ella walk for the first time tonight," Amanda said holding back tears.
"She always said if you were sad, just do something nice for somebody else."
Paul Guard said that was his parents motto in life.
"That is really how they lived," he said.
"They did so much work for everybody else."
Mike Horan, chairman of the Darling Downs Hospital and Health Service, said Roger's colleagues were heartbroken by the news of his death.
"Roger was held in the highest regard by everybody at the Toowoomba Hospital," Mr Horan said.
"His professionalism and dedication to pathology was amazing and his commitment to staff was second to none. His staff just loved him. Our staff in the pathology unit will be absolutely heartbroken by this and the hospital is providing them with as much support as they can."
Mr Horan said news of the Guards' deaths had ripped through the city "like a bushfire".
"People have just been ringing everybody because Roger and Jill were so well known and had so many close friends throughout the city," he said.
"There will be a lot people who will be brokenhearted.
"Our thoughts and our prayers go out to their family, because they were both wonderful people, in the twilight of their careers and to be struck down like this a very sad tragedy."
Toowoomba Mayor Paul Antonio said the loss would be felt throughout the Darling Downs community.
“It’s a tragedy firstly for the family involved, but it’s also a tragedy for the medical profession in Toowoomba,” he said.
“They’ll be affected profoundly by this, as will the whole community.”
Cr Antonio said Dr Guard was a "highly respected" member of the city's community, whose involvement in not just medicine but also local running groups would be missed.
"This is a tragic day for Toowoomba," he said.
Dr Guard was highly experienced pathologist who performed autopsies on the Queensland flood victims, including Donna and Jordan Rice. He was one of the main organisers of the Toowoomba Road Runners, a fitness group who organised long-distance events in the local area.
Ms Sidelik, aged 56, was confirmed as having been on board the plane.
Her Adelaide-based niece said her family was trying to come to grips with the sudden loss of her aunt.
She said her father’s 56-year-old sister had travelled to Amsterdam for a wedding and also taken a holiday to Greece while in Europe.
She was returning home aboard MH17 when it was shot down over the Ukraine.
Ms Sidelik moved to Burleigh Heads from Melbourne four years ago.
She was an active member of the beachside suburb’s Vision Personal Training studio.
Club manager Damien Glynn mourned her loss on the club’s Facebook page.
“It is with great sadness and remorse that we have to say goodbye to our much loved family member of Vision Burleigh, Helena, Big H, Mona, aunty H,” he wrote.
The Australian death toll was on Friday afternoon revised up to 28 from initial reports of 27.
Earlier on Friday, Premier Campbell Newman said Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop had informed him of nine Queensland deaths in the plane crash.
Further information about the Queensland victims, such as their ages and where they lived, had not yet been made available, Mr Newman said.
The Department of Foreign Affairs was still in the process of notifying the next of kin.
"I'm just absolutely shocked and appalled," the Premier said.
"I, like all Queenslanders, have been listening to the radio and watching the TV and the vision and the very disturbing transcripts of conversations of people who may very well have been involved in the shooting down of this aircraft, if that's what's occurred, it's chilling and it's hard not to be incredibly emotional."
An angry Mr Newman said he backed Prime Minister Tony Abbott's calls for justice in Federal Parliament on Friday.
“We must have a full, independent international investigation and there must be unfettered access – safe access – to this area," he said.
“The warring parties must provide this access so we can get to the bottom of this.”
Communities Minister Tracy Davis said the government would do what it could to ensure people "didn't have to grieve alone".
“In the first instance, what we can provide family members and extended family members and friends that have been impacted is through our partnership with LifeLine," she said.
“LifeLine has been working in this field for a very long time, in terms of dealing with disaster and tragedy, and so anybody who is impacted can ring LifeLine today on 13 11 14.
“But for those families that are directly impacted we will offer whatever support we can further to that."
The premier would not be drawn on whether Russian President Vladimir Putin should be welcomed to Brisbane as part of November's G20 summit.
“Today, as far as I’m concerned, is about the families, the friends and the communities of Queensland that need to be supported, so I really can’t get in to that today," he said.
“On another time, another occasion, I’ll be prepared to give you a full-throated answer on that one, but today it’s about Queenslanders, it’s about supporting people who need our support and ensuring nobody grieves alone.”
Flags will be flown at half-mast at government buildings on Saturday for the National Day of Mourning to remember Australians who lost their lives in the crash.
- Cameron Atfield, Marissa Calligeros, Kim Stephens and Tony Moore
The story MH17 plane shot down in Ukraine: Nine Queenslanders died in crash first appeared on Brisbane Times.