Lebrina family home lost in accidental fire

Lebrina Fire Brigade chief Karl Robbers and firefighter Terry Robbers inspect the remains of a house at Lebrina that caught fire yesterday morning. Picture: PHILLIP BIGGS

Lebrina Fire Brigade chief Karl Robbers and firefighter Terry Robbers inspect the remains of a house at Lebrina that caught fire yesterday morning. Picture: PHILLIP BIGGS

A FAMILY has lost its Lebrina home after an accidental fire ripped through it yesterday morning. 

The Golconda Road property caught fire about 7am  after a heavy weight placed on an electric blanket caused a hot spot.

There was nobody home at the time.

The owner said his two children would normally be sleeping alone in the house when the fire started. 

The Tasmanian Fire Service has issued a warning about electric blankets and smoke alarms following the emergency.

Fire investigator Adrian Adams said it was essential people read the manuals for electric blankets.

``You certainly can't sleep with your electric blanket on and there shouldn't be any weight on it, even the household cat shouldn't be allowed on it,'' he said.

Officer Adams explained that hot spots - which led to fires - could be caused in the blankets if weight was placed on them or if they were folded. 

The damage from yesterday's fire, which levelled the home, has been estimated at $250,000 including contents.  

No working smoke alarms were fitted in the home.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop