THE DECISION by the Federal Court to uphold a ban on super trawlers operating out of Australian waters is ``temporary relief'' for the Stop the Trawler Alliance.
Justice Logan handed down the decision in the Federal Court in Brisbane yesterday, beginning his judgment by noting the bad luck associated with changing a ship's name.
Sea Fish Tasmania had challenged the validity of the then Federal Environment Minister, Tony Burke, to impose a two-year ban.
The legislation introduced to block the super trawler could only be triggered by a new type of commercial fishing with uncertain environmental impacts.
Sea Fish Tasmania argued the super trawler did not represent a new type of fishing because its massive size and freezer storage were ``irrelevant''.
Justice Logan dismissed Sea Fish Tasmania's arguments and said the Minister was entitled to impose the ban, and ``any redress would be found in answering to Parliament and the wider court of public opinion, including the ballot box''.
Stop the Trawler Alliance spokeswoman Rebecca Hubbard welcomed the decision but said the ban could still be removed in November.
The alliance had been seeking pre-election commitments from political parties on a permanent ban.
The state Liberal Party has said it does not support a super trawler coming to Tasmania, but did not go as far as committing to a permanent ban.
The FV Margiris, later known as the FV Abel Tasman, was set to operate out of Devonport but received community opposition.
Sea Fish Tasmania director Gerry Geen said the company had no plans to bring the Abel Tasman back to Australian waters.
``We believe in the sustainability of the fishery and our only desire was to fish it viably and economically,'' Mr Geen said.
Scientific reviews into the impact of a super trawler are due to be finalised and handed down in October.
The Stop the Trawler Alliance will hold a community meeting at 7pm on Tuesday at the Mersey Yacht Club, and invites political parties to confirm their policy on super trawlers.