Funding for sand dune mining

A MINE that will take sand from Bridport and ship it to Sydney is one of nine projects to receive funding under a $3 million major development assistant fund.

The $3.7 million joint-venture project between Barnbougle's Richard Sattler and North East Tasmanian Sands would see sand dunes that are encroaching on farm land mined and sold into cement mix.

Early production is expected to be 450,000 tonnes a year, increasing to 1.5 million tonnes a year.

Bass Labor MHA Michelle O'Byrne said the government had contributed $200,000 to the project from the Major Development Infrastructure Assistance Fund, which sprung out of the second jobs forum last year.

``This project will create 11 jobs in the construction phase and a further 24 ongoing jobs once it is fully operational,'' Ms O'Byrne said.

``The project has identified a resource of more than 13 million tonnes of sand, with the sand dunes currently advancing onto Mr Sattler's property near Bridport at the rate of seven metres a year.''

Ms O'Byrne said the government funding would go towards roadworks and an electricity connection and allow construction to start by June 30.

Premier Lara Giddings said the $3 million program would deliver $70 million worth of investment, more than 400 construction jobs and 387 ongoing jobs statewide.

Grants already announced include $500,000 for the $27 million Macquarie Wharf development, $500,000 for a $3.5 million visitor centre and restaurant at The Springs on Mount Wellington and $400,000 for a $5 million expansion of Crisp Bros and Haywards Steel at Margate.

Three more projects are yet to be announced.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop