Police seek leads in Kingston killing

HOBART'S major crime squad will move in to the Kingston Police Station today in a bid to solve the shooting murder of a 41-year-old man

So far detectives have spoken to several people of interest but there are no firm suspects in the targeted killing.

The deceased man, whose name has not been released by police, was shot dead just before midnight Friday at a residence in Pine Avenue at Kingston.

Police found his body in the backyard of the house where he'd been staying.

The shooting is thought not to be a random attack, however residents are reportedly on edge and have been offered counselling if required.

Detectives are relying on people to come forward with information to help break the case and a reward is on offer.

Investigators and forensic officers have spent the weekend scouring woodlands behind the property believing the gunman has fled there after the shooting.

With no suspect or motive at this stage detectives are open to a variety of possibilities.

Hobart CIB's acting Detective Inspector Craig Joel confirmed yesterday the victim was known to police.

He said the attack was not random and residents had no need to worry.

A police taskforce was set up last year to investigate a number of drive-by shootings in Kingston.

Then in May police shut down Kingston following an armed siege involving a member of the Rebels bikie gang. However Detective Joel said there was no evidence to suggest bikies or any other criminal gangs were involved in Friday's slaying.

Detectives ask residents of Fern Street, Redwood Road, Oak Court, Waratah Street, Wattle Street, Birch Street, Cypress Street and Hawthorn Road who may have seen or heard a person or people or a motor vehicle at the time of the shooting to telephone Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit the police command bus in Pine Street.

"As always the local community can play a part in resolving serious crimes of violence," Detective Joel said.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop