FORMER Tasmanian Prisons director Barry Greenberry is set to appear before a parliamentary inquiry into his sudden departure from the role.
Mr Greenberry returned to the Britain after leaving the role last year, but may have to travel to Tasmania to be afforded parliamentary privilege for statements made during the public hearings, which could take place as early as next month.
The high-profile recruit received $260,000 in a workers' compensation settlement when he left the job on March 29, just nine months into the five-year contract.
His departure has been attributed officially to "personal and family reasons" due to a confidentiality agreement with the Justice Department, but leaked correspondence revealed Mr Greenberry felt himself a victim of "corruption and mismanagement".
Windermere MLC Ivan Dean, who will chair the inquiry, said he had received written confirmation from the government that it did not object to Mr Greenberry appearing at a public hearing.
"We have already paved the way with Barry Greenberry ... we very much want him to give evidence in this matter," Mr Dean said.
"The government is quite happy for us to proceed, quite happy for us to talk to him, and they will certainly assist us with that inquiry as well."
Mr Dean said the public accounts committee, which will hold the inquiry, was "extremely pleased" with the government response and would begin as soon as it finalised an inquiry into football funding.
He said the committee was taking advice on its ability to extend parliamentary privilege, which will protect Mr Greenberry from legal action over statements made to the committee, to telephone or video conference calls.
Mr Greenberry yesterday published an article on independent website Tasmanian Times lamenting the lack of oversight and accountability among the state's senior public servants, blaming "weak" ministerial management.
He did not respond to The Examiner's attempt to contact him late yesterday.