Council moves to minimise snakebite danger

THE Glamorgan Spring Bay Council has chipped in to replace the municipality's snake antivenom stocks, which were accidentally destroyed earlier this week.

Mayor Bertrand Cadart said the council could not risk a fatality for a small price with the Freycinet National Park at capacity and knocking back tourists.

The region's own antivenom supply was ruined on Sunday night, when vials stored at the Swansea doctors' surgery were frozen because of a fridge fault and the other stockpile was deemed unusable after the fridge door at the town's chemist was left open.

``It is unbelievable that we have got two storage places to make sure there is always a supply and one of them freeze it and the other let it get hot,'' Cr Cadart said yesterday.

``The antivenom was on its way this morning [Thursday].

``There will be enough so we can react if someone is bitten.

``We could not look the other way.''

Reptile Rescue East Coast co-ordinator Bruce Press said the community raised the money for the lost antivenom several years back, when the state government withdrew funding for the product in regional areas.

He said people should carry snakebite bandages with them and know simple first aid when setting out in the bush.

``Be aware of children playing in the bush if you're at a camp site and never try and get between a snake and a dog because either one of them will bite you,'' he said.

Mr Press said the dangerous reptiles were at their most active throughout the Tasmanian breeding season in February and March.

If you would like a snake removed or are bitten on the East Coast, call Bruce Press on 0400 502 403.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop