AFL Tasmania chairman Dominic Baker says a parliamentary inquiry into how the organisation manages taxpayers' money is in danger of turning into a ``witch hunt''.
AFL Tasmania released a statement yesterday to ``correct some of the misinformation circulating'' about how it uses its $500,000 state government grant, which includes claims it is too focused on elite clubs and is out of touch with grassroots players.
Mr Baker said AFL Tasmania can, and does, fully account for its government money.
``While we unashamedly work very hard to create opportunities for young Tasmanians to pursue their sport to the very highest level, we have a strong focus on community football as well,'' Mr Baker said.
``We have a Community Football Department, headed up by Nick Probert and assisted by two other staff members, that alone has expended $483,000 in 2013.
``AFL Tasmania also funds the Tasmanian State League clubs to deliver participation programs in schools, at a further cost of between $250,000 to $300,000 per annum.''
Mr Baker said the organisation's investment in umpiring, coaching and education, via the TSL, was in excess of $150,000 a year.
``Without the government grant these programs could not be sustained,'' he said.
``We have nothing to hide and all we expect as an organisation is to receive a fair hearing, something that, regrettably, has not happened to date.''
On Saturday, Mr Baker denied any truth to rumours circulating that his board was intending to resign.
He said the board, made up of leading football, sporting and business people, had been working and seeking advice from the AFL on the parliamentary inquiry process and it was happy to front the inquiry.
The parliamentary committee will hold a planning meeting on Wednesday to decide which witness to call next, with AFL Tasmania officials likely to be high on the list.
Parliamentary committee members include Kim Booth, Ivan Dean, Peter Gutwein, Paul Harriss and Brenton Best.