A TASMANIAN whisky distiller said he often gets scared when talking to amateur spirit-makers.
His comment follows two deaths in the St Helens area in the past week that have been linked to drinking moonshine.
Tasmania Police are investigating if home-distilled liquor caused the deaths of two men.
Up to 30 litres of a milky white spirit were found at one of the dead man's homes, along with a device used to distil alcohol, police said.
Cloudiness in a distilled spirit is often the result of an impurity.
Lark Distillery's Bill Lark said it was tragic if the two deaths were related to homemade spirits.
"There are some people who have small stills and they scare me when they talk about what they do and how they don't understand what it is to remove those dangerous parts of an alcohol," Mr Lark said.
Under federal laws, it is illegal to distil "even a drop" of spirits without a licence.
Mr Lark said the licences ensured people knew how to produce a safe spirit.
In the distillation process, a batch of alcoholic liquid is heated and the vapours are collected, forming a more potent alcoholic drink.
However, the first liquid that comes off the batch should always be discarded as it contains the poison methanol.
From there, distillers can tell if they have a safe product through smell, sight and, most importantly, temperature.
Commercial distillers go beyond that to make sure there are no "nasties".
"It's very sad and tragic that two people possibly lost their life because of this," Mr Lark said.
Following the men's deaths, the Health Department released public health warnings.
Coma, permanent brain damage, kidney failure, blindness and death are all possible consequences of ingesting methanol.
Anyone concerned should seek urgent medical attention.
Police are awaiting toxicology reports on the men who died this week.