Rolf Harris is to be charged with 13 sex offences, British prosecutors say.
In a statement issued on Thursday evening, Australian time, the Crown Prosecution Service said they had authorised police to lay the charges against the famous Australian entertainer after reviewing evidence gathered by Operation Yewtree.
The charges include nine counts of indecent assault and four counts of making indecent images of a child.
“We have carefully considered the evidence gathered by the Metropolitan Police Service as part of Operation Yewtree,” said chief Crown prosecutor Alison Saunders.
“Having completed our review, we have concluded that there is sufficient evidence and it is in the public interest for Mr Harris to be charged with nine counts of indecent assault and four of making indecent images of a child.”
Six counts of indecent assault relate to a girl aged between 15 and 16, from 1980 to 1981.
Three more counts of indecent assault relate to a girl aged 14 in 1986.
And the four offences of making indecent images of a child occurred in March and July 2012.
“We have determined that there is sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction,” Ms Saunders said.
Harris will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on September 23.
He was initially arrested on November 29 last year over allegations of sexual offences, and a file of evidence was given to the CPS on August 12.
Ms Saunders reminded people that Harris has a right to a fair trial, and asked the media not to say or report anything that could prejudice that trial. It would not be appropriate to comment further, she said.
Operation Yewtree was begun after the Jimmy Saville scandal, but Harris was investigated under a branch of the operation dealing with allegations of sexual assault unrelated to Saville.