AN ATTEMPT by the Launceston RSL to move into the Paterson Barracks has been rejected by the Parliamentary Secretary of Defence.
Senator David Feeney met with representatives of the Launceston RSL on June 11 to tour the building after repeated requests from sub-branch president Ken Padman.
The RSL received its rejection letter last week.
A Defence spokesman said there was no space available on the operational base used by 40 army and air force cadets, 45 reservists and one officer.
``Paterson Barracks is required for regular use by Australian Defence Force cadets and the serving and consumption of alcohol on the site is not compatible with the vision of a youth development organisation,'' the spokesman said.
``Further, advice received from Defence was that the shared use of Paterson Barracks posed a significant risk as the site is designed and maintained as an operational base, has limited . . . disabled access and facilities and has frequent movement of heavy vehicles.''
Mr Padman said he was ``tired of excuses''.
``There are so many different stories back and they're all different,'' Mr Padman said.
``The fact is, they say there's no room there but I beg to differ when there's army and air force cadets using it for two hours on a Thursday.
``We're well aware of the extent of the room available.''
Mr Padman said he was ``disgusted'' with the condition of the base.
``I think it could become derelict or is becoming derelict, it won't be there in a few years,'' he said.
``We're happy to work in with the Defence Force and help maintain the property - it's falling down around their ears.''
A Defence spokesman said the site was maintained under its regional reactive maintenance contract but was allocated no specific budget.
Mr Padman said the Launceston RSL was looking to sell its Wellington Street premises.