Archival Revival: Launceston, Looking Back Part 2

Launceston, Looking Back Part 2

An aerial view of Launceston's King's Bridge and the Cataract Gorge. The Weekly Courier, February 3, 1921.

An aerial view of Launceston's King's Bridge and the Cataract Gorge. The Weekly Courier, February 3, 1921.

Some of the best samples of early aerial photography over Launceston. The main business section of the city - Invermay, Mowbray and Ravenswood. The Weekly Courier, February 1921.

Some of the best samples of early aerial photography over Launceston. The main business section of the city - Invermay, Mowbray and Ravenswood. The Weekly Courier, February 1921.

Aerial shot looking over Invermay - and the bike track. The Weekly Courier, February 1921.

Aerial shot looking over Invermay - and the bike track. The Weekly Courier, February 1921.

The Launceston - one of Tasmania's leading hotels. The Weekly Courier, December 19, 1903.

The Launceston - one of Tasmania's leading hotels. The Weekly Courier, December 19, 1903.

The cliff grounds, showing part of First Basin and Cataract Gorge and The Giants' Grave. The Weekly Courier, March 2, 1916.

The cliff grounds, showing part of First Basin and Cataract Gorge and The Giants' Grave. The Weekly Courier, March 2, 1916.

Section of Central Launceston viewed from the Tower of the Commercial Travellers' Association Buildings. The Weekly Courier.

Section of Central Launceston viewed from the Tower of the Commercial Travellers' Association Buildings. The Weekly Courier.

A view of Charles Street, at the intersection with Brisbane Street. The Weekly Courier, March 24, 1906.

A view of Charles Street, at the intersection with Brisbane Street. The Weekly Courier, March 24, 1906.

A section of Paterson Street, with Cataract Hill in the background. The Weekly Courier, March 24, 1906.

A section of Paterson Street, with Cataract Hill in the background. The Weekly Courier, March 24, 1906.

A stern view of the Taroona alongside King's Wharf for the first time. The Weekly Courier, March 21, 1935.

A stern view of the Taroona alongside King's Wharf for the first time. The Weekly Courier, March 21, 1935.

The South Esk, near Launceston The Weekly Courier, November 8, 1902.

The South Esk, near Launceston The Weekly Courier, November 8, 1902.

A section of Brisbane Street in 1879. On the right, the old Brisbane Hotel can be seen. The photo was reproduced from a woodcut in an old Illustrated Paper.

A section of Brisbane Street in 1879. On the right, the old Brisbane Hotel can be seen. The photo was reproduced from a woodcut in an old Illustrated Paper.

Charles Street looking south. The Weekly Courier, November 2, 1922.

Charles Street looking south. The Weekly Courier, November 2, 1922.

Launceston. The Weekly Courier, November 2, 1922.

Launceston. The Weekly Courier, November 2, 1922.

A section of East Launceston seen from Adelaide Street. The Weekly Courier, November 13, 1919.

A section of East Launceston seen from Adelaide Street. The Weekly Courier, November 13, 1919.

West Tamar and Forest roads. The Weekly Courier, January 22, 1914.

West Tamar and Forest roads. The Weekly Courier, January 22, 1914.

Trevallyn Terrance. The Weekly Courier, January 22, 1914.

Trevallyn Terrance. The Weekly Courier, January 22, 1914.

Kings Bridge and the Tamar. The Weekly Courier, March 5, 1914.

Kings Bridge and the Tamar. The Weekly Courier, March 5, 1914.

A panoramic view of the First Basin from Eagle's Eyrie. The Weekly Courier, October 16, 1929.

A panoramic view of the First Basin from Eagle's Eyrie. The Weekly Courier, October 16, 1929.

The North Esk Rowing Club sheds in this photo from The Weekly Courier. The original building erected in 1902 was partly burnt down towards the end of the Second World War and what was left was used as a boatshed until 1964.

The North Esk Rowing Club sheds in this photo from The Weekly Courier. The original building erected in 1902 was partly burnt down towards the end of the Second World War and what was left was used as a boatshed until 1964.

The Reserve at Trevallyn, with the River Tamar in the background. The Weekly Courier, November 6, 1929.

The Reserve at Trevallyn, with the River Tamar in the background. The Weekly Courier, November 6, 1929.

The lawn and tea-house at Cataract Cliff Grounds. The Weekly Courier, November 6, 1929.

The lawn and tea-house at Cataract Cliff Grounds. The Weekly Courier, November 6, 1929.

Royal Park, Launceston's beautiful river-side reserve. The Weekly Courier, December 25, 1929.

Royal Park, Launceston's beautiful river-side reserve. The Weekly Courier, December 25, 1929.

The business premises of Messrs Hatton and laws, chemists, on the corner of Brisbane and St John streets. The Weekly Courier, June 29, 1907.

The business premises of Messrs Hatton and laws, chemists, on the corner of Brisbane and St John streets. The Weekly Courier, June 29, 1907.

The Cataract Gorge. The Weekly Courier, August 24, 1901.

The Cataract Gorge. The Weekly Courier, August 24, 1901.

A then and now comparison of Brisbane Street at the St John Street intersection. The insent image is at the opening of the Launceston Municipal Trammery in August 1911.

A then and now comparison of Brisbane Street at the St John Street intersection. The insent image is at the opening of the Launceston Municipal Trammery in August 1911.

An interior view of Hatton and Laws Chemists. The Weekly Courier, June 29, 1907.

An interior view of Hatton and Laws Chemists. The Weekly Courier, June 29, 1907.

Northern floods - the Hobler's Bridge at St Leonards. The Weekly Courier, August 1, 1903.

Northern floods - the Hobler's Bridge at St Leonards. The Weekly Courier, August 1, 1903.

Mr D. A. Scott's resident in York Street. The Weekly Courier, July 11, 1903.

Mr D. A. Scott's resident in York Street. The Weekly Courier, July 11, 1903.

St Leonards. The Weekly Courier, December 1910.

St Leonards. The Weekly Courier, December 1910.

Hobler's Bridge at St Leonards. The Weekly Courier, December 1910.

Hobler's Bridge at St Leonards. The Weekly Courier, December 1910.

A tram on Invermay Road. The Weekly Courier, May 1929.

A tram on Invermay Road. The Weekly Courier, May 1929.

A new temporary structure across the North Esk River connecting the City with the new wharves on the north side of the Tamar. The Weekly Courier, February 1918.

A new temporary structure across the North Esk River connecting the City with the new wharves on the north side of the Tamar. The Weekly Courier, February 1918.

Looking over Launceston from Mount Pleasant Hill. The Weekly Courier.

Looking over Launceston from Mount Pleasant Hill. The Weekly Courier.

The Christian Mission Church on Wellington Street. The Weekly Courier

The Christian Mission Church on Wellington Street. The Weekly Courier

The jewellery building of Messrs F & W Stewart in Charles Street. The Weekly Courier, August 20, 1904.

The jewellery building of Messrs F & W Stewart in Charles Street. The Weekly Courier, August 20, 1904.

King's Bridge looking from the Cataract Gorge. The Weekly Courier, July 22, 1909.

King's Bridge looking from the Cataract Gorge. The Weekly Courier, July 22, 1909.

Prince's Square. The Weekly Courier, July 29, 1909.

Prince's Square. The Weekly Courier, July 29, 1909.