Archival Revival: Launceston, Looking Back Part 1

Launceston, Looking Back part one

The fountain in Princes Square. The Weekly Courier, August 26, 1909

The fountain in Princes Square. The Weekly Courier, August 26, 1909

Launceston's Albert Hall. The Weekly Courier described it as "one of the most commodious in the British Empire". September 16, 1909.

Launceston's Albert Hall. The Weekly Courier described it as "one of the most commodious in the British Empire". September 16, 1909.

The Mechanic's Institute in Launceston. The Weekly Courier, September 16, 1909.

The Mechanic's Institute in Launceston. The Weekly Courier, September 16, 1909.

The Public Buildings and Post Office. The Weekly Courier, September 23, 1909.

The Public Buildings and Post Office. The Weekly Courier, September 23, 1909.

The Baptist Church in Launceston. The Weekly Courier, May 17, 1934.

The Baptist Church in Launceston. The Weekly Courier, May 17, 1934.

Princes Square fountain. The Weekly Courier, May 10, 1934.

Princes Square fountain. The Weekly Courier, May 10, 1934.

Punch Bowl in summer. The Courier, February 20, 1929.

Punch Bowl in summer. The Courier, February 20, 1929.

Launceston as seen from Trevallyn in November 1922.

Launceston as seen from Trevallyn in November 1922.

The Gorge, from King's Bridge. November, 1922

The Gorge, from King's Bridge. November, 1922

Museum and Art Gallery main buildings, 1922.

Museum and Art Gallery main buildings, 1922.

The factory of J. & T Gunn Builders in Brisbane Street. The Courier, March 7, 1903.

The factory of J. & T Gunn Builders in Brisbane Street. The Courier, March 7, 1903.

Princes Square, Chalmers Church and Milton Hall. The Courier, April 11, 1918.

Princes Square, Chalmers Church and Milton Hall. The Courier, April 11, 1918.

Launceston from the Cataract Gorge in 1885.

Launceston from the Cataract Gorge in 1885.

Construction of King's Bridge in 1904.

Construction of King's Bridge in 1904.

Construction of King's Bridge in 1904.

Construction of King's Bridge in 1904.

Wellington Street in January 1922

Wellington Street in January 1922

A view of St John Street looking south. In the distance three church spires can be seen - St John's, Chalmers and Christ Church. The Weekly Courier, September 28, 1927.

A view of St John Street looking south. In the distance three church spires can be seen - St John's, Chalmers and Christ Church. The Weekly Courier, September 28, 1927.

The city council's beautification work at Royal Park. The Weekly Courier,

The city council's beautification work at Royal Park. The Weekly Courier,

A view looking over Launceston. The Weekly Courier, March 24, 1906.

A view looking over Launceston. The Weekly Courier, March 24, 1906.

A panoramic view of Launceston from the roof of the new Commercial Bank of Tasmania. The Weekly Courier, October 7, 1909.

A panoramic view of Launceston from the roof of the new Commercial Bank of Tasmania. The Weekly Courier, October 7, 1909.

Hampden - a growing suburb of Launceston. The Weekly Courier, November 28, 1909.

Hampden - a growing suburb of Launceston. The Weekly Courier, November 28, 1909.

Launceston Post Office showing the tower containing the Centenary Clock and Chimes in Cameron Street. The Weekly Courier, November 4, 1909.

Launceston Post Office showing the tower containing the Centenary Clock and Chimes in Cameron Street. The Weekly Courier, November 4, 1909.

Launceston showing the River Tamar from Lawrence Vale. The Weekly Courier, November 24, 1909.

Launceston showing the River Tamar from Lawrence Vale. The Weekly Courier, November 24, 1909.

In the City Park, Launceston. The Weekly Courier, December 23, 1909.

In the City Park, Launceston. The Weekly Courier, December 23, 1909.

Cataract Gorge - a view from the Cliff Grounds showing First Basin and Giant's Grave. The Weekly Courier, November 9, 1909.

Cataract Gorge - a view from the Cliff Grounds showing First Basin and Giant's Grave. The Weekly Courier, November 9, 1909.

The Willows, Tamar Rowing Club Sheds and section of Trevallyn. The Weekly Courier, November 9, 1909.

The Willows, Tamar Rowing Club Sheds and section of Trevallyn. The Weekly Courier, November 9, 1909.

An aerial view of Launceston, showing the point where the Cataract Gorge flows into the Tamar. The Courier, November 4, 1931.

An aerial view of Launceston, showing the point where the Cataract Gorge flows into the Tamar. The Courier, November 4, 1931.

The entrance to the City Park. The Weekly Courier, November 7, 1907.

The entrance to the City Park. The Weekly Courier, November 7, 1907.

Launceston. The Weekly Courier, August 3, 1907.

Launceston. The Weekly Courier, August 3, 1907.

A major recreational area in Launceston. The Weekly Courier, August 18, 1910.

A major recreational area in Launceston. The Weekly Courier, August 18, 1910.

A terrace built in Cameron Street by the order of John Hart. The Weekly Courier, February 1906.

A terrace built in Cameron Street by the order of John Hart. The Weekly Courier, February 1906.

The Taroona at King's Wharf. The Courier, 1935.

The Taroona at King's Wharf. The Courier, 1935.

Ministering Children's League Convalescent Home at St Leonards. The Weekly Courier, September 1906

Ministering Children's League Convalescent Home at St Leonards. The Weekly Courier, September 1906

One of the aero club's Moths soars over Launceston. The Weekly Courier, March 1931.

One of the aero club's Moths soars over Launceston. The Weekly Courier, March 1931.

Royal Park showing the museum, December 1913.

Royal Park showing the museum, December 1913.

The tea rooms at Royal Park in May 1917.

The tea rooms at Royal Park in May 1917.

The corner of Paterson and St John streets from the Weekly Courier, November 1906

The corner of Paterson and St John streets from the Weekly Courier, November 1906

Two whales alongside the whaling ship Mimosa. The Courier.

Two whales alongside the whaling ship Mimosa. The Courier.