VISITORS to Launceston could be charged $8 to enter the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery if aldermen agree to the move at a council meeting this Tuesday.
Just 123,588 people visited the museum's two sites at Inveresk and Royal Park last year.
The council pays $4.3 million to keep the sites operating.
Alderman Tony Peck said that this meant that last year ratepayers paid $34 for each museum visit.
He proposed that the council investigate imposing an $8 admission fee per person with all Launceston residents, seniors, students and children under 16 exempt from the charge.
Hobart consultancy MMC Link has started a study on QVMAG's operations, including whether it is appropriate to introduce an admission fee.
The council will drop $800,000 from the museum's budget over the next five years.
Deputy Mayor Jeremy Ball last month said the state government should be asked to contribute more than $1.3 million a year to Launceston's museums and provide half of the museum's $5.6 million budget.
Also at Tuesday's meeting, Alderman Rob Soward will suggest that the council ask the Justice Department to make people on community service or work orders available for rubbish clean-ups around Launceston.
Council corporate strategy manager Louise Foster in an officer's report said the council had participated in similar programs before with the department.
She said teenagers in its juvenile offenders program did a clean-up in Heritage Forest three years ago, supervised by a police officer.
Ms Foster said community service work orders had also been used for weed and blackberry control on the North Esk and West Tamar trails.