BUS drivers are urging the state government to intervene in the Metro dispute, with the union warning that it could otherwise drag on for months.
Yesterday the state government said it was not directly involved but urged the parties to talk.
Rail, Tram and Bus Union Tasmanian branch secretary Sam Simonetis said she had expected the case to be referred to the Fair Work Commission last week, and was surprised when Metro management did not take that step.
A Metro spokesman said the company was assessing its legal options and should comment tomorrow.
He said Metro managing director Heather Haselgrove wanted to continue negotiating with the union.
Metro is a government business enterprise.
The company has six directors who were paid $148,784 in 2011-12 - a 22 per cent increase on the previous year.
They were also paid $87,671 (including salary sacrifice) in superannuation.
The business lost $421,000 (before tax) in 2011-2012.
Metro has offered drivers a 2 per cent pay rise each year for three years, plus a faster pathway to the top pay rate.
Drivers want a 3 per cent pay rise and have already walked off the job twice in the past fortnight.
The buses will also stop this week, with drivers having stop-work meetings on Tuesday between 6pm and 8pm, Thursday between 1pm and 2pm and Friday from 8pm to 10pm.
This means buses in Hobart and Launceston will not run on Tuesday between about 4pm and 9pm.
Burnie will not be affected.
Drivers will also not work overtime on Friday and Saturday.
Mrs Simonetis, who is a bus driver, urged the state government to tell Metro management to take the matter to the Fair Work Commission.
She said industrial action would stop immediately and both sides would have to abide by the commission's decision.
Mrs Simonetis said the commission was created by the Labor federal government, so the Labor-Greens state government should use it.