THE angry reaction to Australia Post's decision to scrap its next- day delivery service in Northern Tasmania has prompted Communications Minister Stephen Conroy to step in.
Senator Conroy will meet Australia Post management tomorrow to discuss the issue.
A spokesman for Senator Conroy said he was "working with Australia Post to find a sustainable long-term solution".
He had been lobbied by the three Northern Tasmanian Labor MHRs - Geoff Lyons, Sid Sidebottom and Dick Adams - since Australia Post announced that all but 22 Hobart postcodes would no longer have access to the next-day service guarantee from April 8.
Launceston Alderman Rob Soward is organising a petition against the planned change, which he says will disadvantage businesses in the North.
Launceston Chamber of Commerce acting executive officer Maree Tetlow said many businesses had provided the chamber with examples of the negative impact of the change, from soil testing firms to a chocolate company planning to tap into an interstate market.
"We're trying to get businesses online and encouraging them to do more online activity and e-commerce, but this reinforces a backwater stereotype that we don't want to have out there," Ms Tetlow said.
Northern Tasmania Development, comprising the eight councils in the area, has also called on Australia Post to reconsider.
President and Launceston Mayor Albert van Zetten said it appeared Australia Post had underestimated the importance of the service to the region.
"It is vital that this region has equal access to the national Express Post next-day network," he said.
"We deserve a reasonable standard of postal service. That service should include a next-day option."
He also criticised Australia Post for failing to properly explain or justify the changes, which had added to the uncertainty.