Two-time MotoGP champion Casey Stoner has confirmed he will make the move to four wheels to race a V8 Supercar this season.
Since announcing his intention to quit the MotoGP circuit last May, Stoner has been strongly linked to a move to the V8s and he will make his debut in the second tier development series at the Adelaide 500 on February 28, it was reported yesterday.
"It was always my plan during my whole career to drive a V8," Stoner said.
"It's now the new chapter in my career, but I have to be realistic and see if we're capable of doing anything."
The 27-year-old Stoner will race a Red Bull Holden Commodore backed by Triple Eight Racing, previously driven by four- time Supercars champion Jamie Whincup, the same team he has already enjoyed a series of training and testing sessions with.
Stoner said he was under no illusions as to the challenges he would face.
"The hardest thing I have had to do is change whatever I know about braking and changing through gears," Stoner said.
"I am having to rethink again. I have to forget everything I know about bikes and change to learn to drive these."
Stoner's Commodore will wear his famous No.27, the same number which which he won the 2007 and 2011 MotoGP championships.
Stoner will enjoy his first public outing with his new team in a Supercar test day at Sydney Motorsport Park on February 16.