Geale counts down to date with destiny

LAUNCESTON boxer Daniel Geale's date to rewrite history will be January 30.

The 11,500-capacity Sydney Entertainment Centre will host the IBF middleweight world champion's title defence against Anthony Mundine, three years after the outspoken former rugby league player inflicted the only blemish on Geale's 29-fight pro career. 

The 31-year-old will be making the fourth defence of the title he won from Germany's Sebastian Sylvester last year but his IBF belt will be the only one on the line after he was  stripped of his WBA title for opting against fighting its mandatory opponent. 

``This is the fight Australia wants to see and I'm thrilled it will take place in Sydney,'' Geale said yesterday. 

``The whole country is talking about this fight and I can't wait to put Mundine in his place after all the trash talking he's been doing.''

It will be Mundine's eighth professional fight at the venue. 

``I made my pro debut and won my first world title here -  it's a special place for me and in January I'm going to write another chapter in my legacy by stopping Daniel Geale,'' Mundine said. 

Geale's American promoter Gary Shaw said the scale of the fight was unprecedented and he predicted a global audience well into the millions.

``In all my years in boxing, this is the biggest fight in Australian boxing history,'' Shaw said.

``They don't get bigger than this. Daniel Geale is considered to be, by many, one of the best middleweights in the world, after winning two world titles from German fighters on German soil, and he is desperate to avenge his controversial loss to Mundine in 2009.

``This is a once-in-a-lifetime fight that will captivate not only fans in Sydney  but across Australia and the rest of the world.''

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop